Easy beef goulash is only one of many variations of goulashes. It is fairly easy to make thus convenient to any starting cook and, of course, to everybody who loves beef. This goulash is not a soup, but rather a beef with some vegetables and a bit of sauce. Easy beef goulash can easily be adapted using different spices or even kinds of meat such as pork or poultry.
Here is what you need for 4-6 portions:
- About 700g\1,54lb of beef shoulder
- At least 25g\0,055lb of Magyar Goulash spice mix
- Grounded pepper, salt
- 1 big carrot and white (or green) paprika
- Sunflower or olive oil
1) Cut the beef shoulder into smaller pieces. These should not be bigger than some 2cmx2cm\0,8inches. However, they should not be much smaller either. Put the pieces into a bowl and add all the Magyar Goulash mix, between half a teaspoon and full teaspoon of grounded pepper and some salt. Flush the beef with oil and mix it thoroughly. Leave the meat soak for at least 10 minutes.
Note: In case you did not find any Magyar Goulash mix in your store, you can use other type of spice mix or make your own. The Magyar Goulash mix I used contained onion, caraway seeds, tomato powder, marjoram, oregano, sugar, rosemary, bay leaf, paprika and some spicy paprika.
You can improvise by simply adding most of the spices now and chopped onions and tomatoes (or tomato sauce) later on – some half an hour or an hour before the meal it finished. Nothing will be lost if you leave out the sugar.
2) Heat up your pot and roast the meat until it changes color. Also, flush all the oil and spices into the pot with beef. Otherwise the taste could become fainter. When the beef is roasted, add a bit of water. It should cover most of the meat, but the pieces should still be sticking out of the water. Usually some 3dl\0.53pint of water should be enough. Leave the meat steam\boil in covered pot until it is half-done. This will most likely take at least an hour and a half. Always add the hot water as it evaporates and mix the meat every few minutes.
3) Skin the carrot and chop it to circles. Add them into the pot and let the beef steam\boil. When you anticipate no more than some 20 minutes are needed for your meal to be finished, clean the paprika, chop it into stripes and add it into the pot.
4) You can turn off the cooker once you are satisfied the beef is cooked through. Do not forget to taste your easy beef goulash. It might require some more salt, pepper or even chili.
Congratulations, you finished your easy beef goulash. It is best enjoyed with bread, rolls, rice or pasta. However, you can also enjoy it with potatoes, pickles or pickled gherkins. After all, this variation of goulash is not supposed to be soup, but rather a kind of sauced meat. Great advantage of easy beef goulash is that it can be easily frozen and stored for later use while remaining as delicious as if it was fresh for at least two weeks.
Incoming search terms:
- easy beef goulash (25)
- easy goulash using only tomato sauce (1)
- how much prepared meat would be required to cook 20 portions of beef goulash (1)