There are many easy meals convenient for both beginning cooks and professionals. Easy oven baked chicken legs are one such meal. In fact, this is one of the easiest meals you can make. If you do not forget that you are making them and turn them regularly, there is nothing you can do wrong. Also easy oven baked chicken legs are a meal fitting almost any tight budget.
For three portions you will need:
- 3 chicken legs
- Sunflower or olive oil
- Salt, grounded pepper, red pepper
- Coriander, caraway seeds
- Rice, potatoes or pasta
Making the easy oven baked chicken legs:
1) Skin the chicken legs, if they are not skinless already. The skin would only spoil the food for you since the legs will be partially covered by water/oil/spice mix thus no crust would form.
2) Heat up your oven to 220 or so degrees Celsius and prepare the dripping-pan/roaster by filling its bottom with thin layer of oil. Choose a 2-part roaster so that the chicken legs can easily be covered. Now, put the chicken legs into the roaster and add some grounded pepper, coriander and salt according to your taste. Also add a few caraway seeds. You can sprinkle spices onto both sides of your chicken legs. I do it this way, although it should not make any real difference in the finished meal.
3) Let the chicken legs fry for a few minutes in the oil from both sides then add enough hot water to cover at least half the chicken legs, cover the roaster and let the legs bake for some 15-20 minutes before turning them upside down. Add a lot of red pepper before you add water – up to 4 or 5 teaspoons. Continue doing this roughly every 20 minutes leveling the water back as it evaporates. The chicken legs should be finished within one or two hours. However, your meal will not suffer even if you bake them for 3 or 4 hours. Actually, they should be better if you bake them a little longer. I left mine in for over 4 hours (since I accidentally fell asleep). The meat was soft, easy to separate from the bones and caught the great flavor from the sauce.
4) Boil the rice/pasta/potatoes in the mean time so that your side-dish is ready on time too. Enjoy your delicious and cheap oven baked chicken legs.
The oven baked chicken legs in my photo are served with rice-lookalike pasta called Slovakian rice – probably available in your country under different name and chopped fresh paprika.
Incoming search terms:
- bake chicken covered tight (1)